Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Care Package #3: Fudge

I have been wanting to try to make fudge for a while. Since the chocolate that I sent in Brian's first care package didn't melt in transit, I figured it would be best to send fudge in the winter (when the high temperatures in Iraq are in the 90s instead of the 140s). I found this recipe in the Hershey cookbook, but will try Mom's recipe in a few weeks to see which I like best.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Fudge
1 C each peanut butter chips and chocolate chips
2.25 C sugar
7 oz jar marshmallow creme
.75 C evaporated milk
.25 C butter
1 tsp vanilla
Place the chocolate and peanut butter chips in separate bowls and set aside. Grease or line an 8 inch square pan with wax paper and set aside. Combine sugar, marshmallow creme, butter and evaporated milk in 3qt pan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it boils, then continue cooking and stirring for 5 mins.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Stir half the mixture into peanut butter chips, mix until melted and pour into pan. Repeat with chocolate chips. Let cool and cut into 1 inch squares.


In an effort to really preserve the fudge and keep it from melting all together, I wrapped each 1 inch square in wax paper before vacuum sealing it. I got rave reviews from my family and co-workers on the finished product and think that I'll be playing around with other fudge variations.

No comments: