Monday, March 14, 2011

Momma's got a brand new bag!

Knowing full well that I have more craft books then I will ever actually use, I was nevertheless browsing through some at the craft store recently. When I stumbled upon this seemingly simple pattern for a purse with hoop handles I thought to myself "Hmmm, I have some hoop handles in a drawer somewhere... This looks pretty easy, but I certainly don't need another book. Maybe I can just snap a picture with my phone and figure it out when I get home." So I did snap a picture, though it was many weeks later before I actually tried out the pattern.


Ends up that it was even easier to make than I had guessed.
From ironing the fabric to tying off loose ends and signing the tag, this adorable purse only took about an hour!
But the coolest part is how it opens! I was afraid that the handles would only offer a small slit to reach through and dig for lost items. Imagine my surprise when I wiggled it a little and the whole top just opened right up! I added an interior pocket that was not in the pattern, because I hate losing little items like hair clips and eye drops in the bottom of a purse. And the wide opening makes it easy to see almost everything at a glance.
I have two more hoop handles, so keep an eye out for two more purses coming soon. I'd love to find a HUGE pair of hoops to make a bag that can be carried over the shoulder...

No comments: