Thursday, July 10, 2008

After all these years...

An interesting development sprang up at work last month. I was offered the opportunity to dedicate half of my time to working as the Level 1 help desk support for the system I administer. This is very exciting not only because it means that my talents and value are being acknowledged. It also gives me a chance to learn more about how the system works behind the scenes, keeps me challenged and stimulated, expands my job skills, and allows me to be more involved with enhancements, developments and testing. But perhaps most exciting is the fact that I will be working in New York a few days a month!

Knowing how much I cherish nature and the outdoors, you may ask, "Why exactly is that exciting?" Well, seven years ago I was all set to move to NYC. I got accepted to a graduate program at NYU's Tisch School of Arts, I had a job lined up at a production company and a friend was checking out apartments in Jersey City. And I turned it all down. Somehow I just felt like it wasn't the right thing to do. Now, here I am, living in a wonderful town in a great apartment in the quiet corner of Connecticut. And I get paid to go into NYC twice a month. Isn't life funny?

Granted, on the two trips I've made so far I haven't done any "New York" type things. Maybe once it cools down a bit I'll do some exploring and maybe try to catch a few shows. I relish the fact that I have 5 hours of train time each week I travel to knit or read. And I get to enjoy the bustle and rush of the city for two days, then go home to the peace and quiet I love. Maybe this bi-monthly commute will get old after a while. But for now I'm loving it!!!

1 comment:

Charlene said...

Dear Skye,
Congrats on your new position.
Have fun in NY, but be careful! I really enjoy your Blog site. I share Pumpkins insights with my kitties, they do agree with many of his thoughts. Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Mom & Dad S.