Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Maine Event

On June 27, Ian and I drove up to a cute campsite for a weekend in Maine. The campground was in Eliot, Maine on the Piscataqua River. It was simple, quiet, and relaxing. Though we got there too late on Friday night to sit by the fire, we did make breakfast over a roaring fire on Saturday morning. I've never been one to think that just because you're eating outside you have to sacrifice flavor. For lunch on Saturday we had Freakin' Vegan burgers, roasted corn on the cob, roasted zucchini and garlic couscous. Yum!


Though camping was a joy in itself, the real purpose of the trip was to attend Ian's cousin's wedding. Jay and Sarah got married at a beautiful home in Kittery. The day was a bit chilly and overcast, but the ceremony and reception were wonderful! It was great to see many of the cousins again, and to meet a few more for the first time.

I was cutting it really close (even by my standards) but I managed to finish the wedding gift the night before we left for Maine! I made Jay and Sarah a rail fence patterned quilt using a collection of shades of red that I bought 7 years ago when I worked at JoAnn Fabrics. There are about 20 hearts of various fabrics sewn into the border and the whole thing is hand quilted in the shape of hearts, which show up really nicely on the back of the quilt. It was a lot of fun to design and make and I hope they enjoy it!

1 comment:

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

Great quilt! I should try quilting sometime. I love the idea of taking lots of different fabrics and putting them into one project.