Monday, October 27, 2008

Etsy and the Handmade Pledge

There are at least two new Etsy shops open, just in time for holiday shopping!

My dear friend Alana has opened "Molasses - Sweet Handmade Stuff." It's a wonderful cooperative of artists (myself included!) offering their combined creative forces in one great shop. Check it out here: http://molasses.etsy.com/.

I was so inspired by Alana (thanks also go to Ian, who has constantly kept this thought in the front of my mind!), that I decided to finally have a go at selling some of the products of my creative endeavors in my own Etsy shop: http://skyetyler.etsy.com/. Okay, the name is not nearly as cute as Alana's. But when I created the site I was having daydreams about someday actually having my own line of products and thought "Skye Tyler Designs" was an apt enough name.

I only have one item posted at the moment, as the bulk of my projects are currently designated as gifts. That being said, however, I did just spend a chunk of change at the Fabric Place to buy supplies to stock my virtual shelves! Stay tuned for new items arriving soon!

If you want to try something new and exciting for the holidays, why not take the Handmade Pledge? It makes for better gift giving and is better for people and the environment!

If you aren't familiar with Etsy, it's definitely worth the look. It's a great way for small-scale artists to sell their wares at reasonable prices. Being one of those artists, I especially love the fact that it's geared to handmade things! Why buy some mass produced piece of mediocrity, when you can buy a one-of-a-kind piece of art and know that the money actually goes straight to the artist?

No comments: