Sunday, February 15, 2009

Savannah, here I come!

Finally, some good news! I was offered (and accepted) the position of Education Coordinator in Savannah, GA! I will be working with various not-for-profits, civic groups, local government and businesses to "decrease poverty and increase financial well being." How awesome is that?!? It is a brand-spanking-new position so I will have the opportunity to grow and develop it from the ground up, with support and direction from the wonderful folks who are already striving towards that worthy goal.

There are so many ways that this is exciting. The first, and simplest really, is that it will be my job to help people. I understand, of course, that there will be frustrations and failures along the way, but I truly believe that the fact that my ultimate job is to help people to help themselves will make those frustrations all the more bearable. Second, this position is much more suited to my natural personality: I am a people-person and love to help others learn. Third, this position requires me to network, which means I will be active in my community and meet so many people in my new city! Fourth, I will be moving to Savannah, which is by all accounts an amazing and interesting city that is a mere 2 hour drive from my dad and sister. Fifth, I will be able to use skills and experiences from almost all of my past jobs to help this career choice succeed.

As I write this I am sitting on a cushion in the nearly empty Connecticut apartment. Pumpkin is all settled in at his new home, Ian's apartment. I know I will miss his furry face and feline antics, but hard decisions had to be made and I must believe this one is for the best. My possessions are more than half packed and awaiting the delivery of the "relocation cubes" this Tuesday. The cubes will be picked up on Friday and by Saturday morning I will be on the road to Georgia (via a stop with Lee and Laura in Virgina). I have been scouring the Internet in hopes of arranging several apartment viewings for next Monday and Tuesday. I start work on March 2nd, so it will be a stressful few weeks while I try to learn the ropes of my new job and get situated in a new apartment. But really, after everything I've dealt with the last few months, this will be a piece of cake.

In all honesty, the most important thing I learned about myself lately is that I am more flexible than I ever imagined. I have rolled with all the punches that fate threw at me and have been able to, for the most part, keep my eye on the positive and work towards building a new life. Of course, I haven't done it alone. The support of my friends and family have really been the life line that has kept me afloat. Dad and Joy have been so encouraging and hopeful. Karen, Eric and Kimberly have helped me remember how to laugh. Julie and Amanda have been so kind and thoughtful with loving gifts. Alana let me vent, babble and rant and reminded me that distance is no barrier to true friendship. Deb and Garen have been cheerleaders of the best kind. Mom and Dad Saporita are rocks of constancy for me, even in the midst of their own grief. Lee and Laura offered a place to rest and encouragement in the face of my own uncertainty. Nancy and Yvonne helped with the seemingly overwhelming task of sorting and packing my apartment, and brought well-needed humor to the project. John let me be vulnerable and fragile when I needed, and in turn taught me the meaning of strength. I am so richly blessed by these amazing people (and all the others who I wasn't able to mention by name because now I've started crying and have to go blow my nose). Thank you all.

1 comment:

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

Yea for you! The new job sounds perfect for you, too. We will definitely come visit you in Savannah. In just over a year, we won't have to have such a long distance relationship anymore!