Thursday, May 21, 2009

Networking on the 'net

I have had a lot of people ask me if I've made lots of new friends since moving to Savannah. While I have met a lot of very friendly people through my job, I'm sorry to say that I have not had a lot of time to go out and meet non-work-related people. I have chatted with some very interesting people at Harley dog park (and think I can sorta relate to parents that get caught up in their children's friend's parent's lives) or walking around Forsyth. But going out just to "socialize" has never been very high on my list. And as sad as it may sound, I just don't have the time or the energy to get all wrapped up in other people's lives right now! I'm still trying to get my own straightened out a bit first.

So, I decided to do a little virtual socializing! Namely, I have been checking out crafting websites and blogs to connect with others who feel the same innate drive to create! I wasn't the least bit surprised to find that people who are handy at making things tend to have very interesting and beautiful websites. You may have noticed a few new links on my "Check them out" side bar. These are folks that I have never met in person, but find their blogs/websites to be interesting. The coolest thing about networking is how quickly the web spreads. I click here and it takes me there, then I click there and it takes me somewhere else wonderful! I can tell I'm going to have to manage my internet time very carefully...

I stumbled onto Darcy's Knotty Knitter site today and found a neat giveaway (which is very exciting since I refuse to buy any yarn until I use some of Mom's stash!). That blog linked me to SandraSingh's website to taunt me with more beautiful yarn that I can't buy yet. And last week I managed to get an invitation to Ravlery, an knitting and crochet group-thingy. It was surfing from crafting site to crafting site that I first heard about the book "Amigurumi Knits." I was immediately smitten with the darling little squishies and was thrilled beyond belief when I found it at Books-A-Million a few days later (I am almost done with my first starfish and think I may start on the jellyfish next!!). Performing a goodsearch.com to try to find a link for "Amigurumi Knits" lead me to Alyoops fun blog! It's a vicious, creative cycle and I love it!

I'm still wanting very much to meet people in person here in Savannah, don't get me wrong. As a matter of fact, I am hoping to stop by the local yarn shop next week just to sit and knit with other people. Of course, I've been wanting to stop in every since I moved...I just haven't made the time yet. It all comes back to pacing myself: I can't do everything all the time, so I do what I can when I can. Right now, I can finish knitting this adorable starfish so I can post some pictures soon!

No comments: