Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Visit to Habersham

Ah, the joys of a three day weekend. I left Savannah Friday afternoon and drove up to one of my favorite places on Earth: Timbrook, the Dover's farm! I got to visit with a wonderful family that has been kind enough to adopt me as one of their own, even though I tend to wander away for years at a time. I spent hours talking, knitting, playing games and just being...and it was wonderful.

It's a little strange that I feel more of a sense of homecoming in a place I never really lived than I do with any place I actually received mail. But then, that is also true of the Saporita's house, my other adoptive family. These are both families that have opened their hearts and their homes to me, and for that gift I am eternally grateful. Losing Mom has been just a tad bit easier knowing that I have other moms who are still here to love on me.
I also got a chance to visit with two dear friends/teachers from Piedmont. I didn't realize then how lucky I was to be able to connect with such talented people, but I know it now. Sure, I made life-long friends with other students, but I was also fortunate enough to do the same with some of my professors!

Being Spring, there were plenty of baby animals on the farm.



After the rain let up, this stunning butterfly sipped a drink from the moist sand in the driveway.


From looking at the Mountain Laurel and Magnolias in glorious bloom, you would never know that Georgia has been suffering from an extended drought.


I wanted very much to be able to help with sawing lumber (last visit I helped build a chimney!), but the trees had grown in a Poison Ivy patch...so I kept my distance.

Sleepy little Demorest has been growing non-stop since I graduated. Piedmont now has a pedestrian bridge and many more buildings than when I attended. I understand the desire to expand, but I can't help wondering if something has been lost with all this development. Do students have the chance to be in a class with just one other student anymore? I went to Piedmont because I would be more than just a number, I hope that will always be the case.

No comments: