Friday, June 11, 2010

The Infinity Dress!

I knew that the Craft Gawker website was going to be trouble the first time I saw it! And sure enough, right when I had every intention of going home last night and finishing up a quilt project, I stumbled across a new project that just HAD to be started last night!

I had heard about the Infinity Dress before. My friend Amanda told me she bought one from the Earthbound Trading Company down on Broughton Street. But we all know I'm cheap and wouldn't buy something that I could make (and the fact that I rarely buy new clothes regardless of the price). I think I may have even seen her wear it once and thought, that's pretty cool, but not my style.

Well, I saw a snapshot of an Infinity Dress on CraftGawker that took me to this very well explained how-to link. The pull was irresistable. It looked so easy. And it looked like something I would/could actually wear. And just that very morning I was wishing that I had a summery, stretchy dress to wear.

So I swung by Jo-Ann's and picked up some stretch-knit fabric and skipped home, envisioning that in about an hour I would have a fun new dress. And it almost happened that way. However, since I didn't really have a pattern, and I was basically winging it, there were a few little stumbles along the way. The most frustrating part is that the stumbles were caused more from me rushing than the fact that I didn't really know what I was doing.

Long story short: I have an awesome new dress!
Supposedly you can wear this thing a thousand different ways. But for a tom-boy like me, I will probably not experiement that much. As it is, I'm still getting used to having that much of my back exposed!

Now that I have done it once, I'm sure I will be make a few more. I found some very pleasing mossy-green fabric that would look cheerful and spring-like paired with the blue. And the next one really should only take me an hour!

No comments: