Friday, March 20, 2009

The First Day of Spring

I plan to write more this weekend, when I have extended access to the Internet. But I wanted to just post a quick note to welcome Spring!

It's hard to tell that today is the first day of Spring here in Savannah because the parks have been a riot of color for at least the three weeks I've been here. The azaleas around Forsyth Park have been bursting in pinks, reds and whites and I've seen tulips and daffodils at various crossroads.

There is one bunch of azaleas in front of a house that I pass to get to Forsyth that makes me smile every time. Most of the bush is all white flowers, but down the middle is a streak of white with just a hint of light pink. It reminds me of the freckles that scatter across Reagan's nose in the summer.

My silver car has a yellow cast from all the tree pollen in the air, but luckily my allergies haven't been as bad as I feared. The grass is verdant and lush and the sky is a strikingly clear blue. Quite a change from the few tentative crocus flowers that usually mark the beginning of Spring in CT!

Tonight I head to Dad's to meet Roscoe, his Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, for the first time. Joy already warned me that I would fall in love with him. This will most likely weaken my resolve to wait 6 months before getting a dog of my own...

No comments: