Thursday, March 11, 2010

Care Package #17: Niagara Bars

I'm kicking myself. I am absolutely beating myself up...for not using this book before now! I think I have a crush on my cookbook. Everything that I have made from Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' is just awesome. Even if you're not vegetarian, you will LOVE these recipes. Even if you're not into backpackin' you can still enjoy yummy snacks at home or work. Niagara Bars

2 2/3 C Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 C plus 1 TBS whole wheat flour
6 TBS baking flour
1/2 flax seeds (called for sesame seeds, but I didn't have enough, so I mixed flax and sesame)
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C powdered milk
1/2 C canola oil
3/4 C honey
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C dried, chopped fruit (cranberries and pineapple)

Preheat to 325. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a saucepan over low heat, warm the oil, honey and vanilla (stirring well to mix the oil) then add to dry ingredients. Stir well and pat firmly into parchment lined 9x13" pan (I find that covering the mix with some parchment paper and pressing down on a spatula works very well). Bake for 30 minutes, let cool and cut into bars. Store in ziplock baggies or airtight containers.

Brian has already gotten these and said the guys loved them again. Why are you still reading this? Go out right now and buy this book!!

No comments: