Monday, March 15, 2010

Care Package #18: Spirit Lifters and St. Patty's Day goodies

Shame on me for not taking a picture of these delicious treat, but they didn't hang around long enough to pose for the camera!

Spirit Lifters
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C baking flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C quick oats
1/4 C wheat germ
1 TBS grated orange rind
1/2 C softened butter
2 eggs
1 C walnuts
1/4 C raisins
1/4 C flaked coconut
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips (did a half and half mix of chocolate and butterscotch chips)

Preheat the over to 350. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oats, wheat germ and orange rind. Beat the eggs, butter, walnuts, raisins, coconut and chocolate chips together and add to flour mix. Pour into a 9x9" parchment lined pan and bake for 35 minutes. Let them cool completely then cut into squares.

Next time I make these, I will cream the eggs, butter and sugar together first, then mix it with the other dry ingredients and see if it all blends better. They were still really, really yummy and I can see why they are called Spirit Lifters: after a long day on the trail (or slaving away at the desk) snacking on a few of these bad boys would really lift my spirits!

I also threw in a can of corned beef hash, for St. Patrick's Day. Kinda lame, I know. But I didn't think Irish soda bread would have made it over without developing a nice, green mold accent (not the kind of St. Patty's effect I was looking for) and beer is a no-no. I also sent a box of chocolate/peanut butter pretzels that came in a kinda greenish-blue box... any points there?

No comments: