Sunday, October 3, 2010

Care Package #42: Graham Crackers and a few randoms

Several months ago the Savannah Morning News had some neat looking recipes for Road Trip snacks, such as the Cowgirl Bars. One recipe was for homemade graham crackers. It looked a bit time intensive for such a simple snack, so I was subconsciously avoiding trying it out. But I finally decided to give it a whirl and see if it would be worth the trouble. The finished cracker is okay, but I'm afraid I was right: it's not worth all the work! Also, I froze it a wee bit too long and wasn't able to roll it out as thin as it should be, so the crackers were a bit thicker than I would have liked. However, I think this would be a great recipe for making homemade ice cream sandwiches!
Cinnamon Sugar Graham Crackers
1 C wheat flour
1.5 C plus 2 TBS flour
1C brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
.75 tsp sea salt
7 TBS butter (cut into .5inch cubes and frozen)
.3 C honey
5 TBS milk
2 TBS vanilla
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
In a food processor, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles course meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, milk and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture until the dough comes together. Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap and put the dough on top, shaping it into a large rectangle about 1 inch thick. Put in the fridge for 2 hours or the freezer for an hour (really, just an hour!).
Divide the dough in half and keep one half in the fridge to stay cold while you roll out the other. Roll the dough out into a large, thin rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick, and use a knife to cut into 4 inch squares. Place the crackers on a parchment lined cookie sheet and put back in the fridge for half an hour, or the freezer for 15 minutes.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Preheat oven to 350. Using a fork, make dotted lines, being careful not to poke all the way through the dough. Dust with the cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, rotating halfway through so they bake evenly. Let cool and store in an airtight container.
I participated in the Combined Federal Campaign's annual event for work and got to meet Mrs. Adams, an amazing volunteer for the USO. She's been working with the USO since the 1950's and it was a pleasure to talk with her. She kindly gave me a bunch of things to send over to Brian, the most useful of which was travel TP! I included these donations in the box with the graham crackers. Even if Brian can't use them before he comes home, I'm sure someone there will be happy for them.
While the Fabers were visiting, we were all lamenting one of the major downsides to living in Georgia, namely the ROUS (Roaches of Unusual Size). As we were complaining about the unwelcome critters, I had an amazing idea! I recently purchased some screen material to cover my bedroom windows and had a bunch left over. I grabbed the duct tape and screens and proceeded to cover over the bottom of all my air conditioner vents. The screens will still allow ample air flow, but hopefully thwart a good number of roaches from entering through that portal. We'll see...

We've had some pretty heavy rains over the past week, and this lovely lady decided to come in out of the storm. I've seen dozens of widows, both black and brown, outside. But this is only the second one I've actually found inside the house. The timing seemed a little ironic, as I had just told Xander about 3 days earlier that I haven't had a Black Widow in the house in almost a year. I captured her and relocated her to the far side of the back fence.

No comments: