Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Very Crafty Weekend

What do you do when you have four whole days off from work, a huge stash of fabric, and a somewhat silly need for some fun new clothes? Well, if you're me, you bust out the pattern box, heat up the iron, thread up the sewing machine, and get to it!

A few weeks ago I picked up some leggings at Target for a steal. I don't think I've worn leggings since I was about 8 years old. But I like the look of leggings with a long shirt/short dress, so I bought them. Problem is, I only had one long shirt/short dress! So when I got hit with the sewing bug this weekend, and actually had the time to focus, I decided I wanted to make a few jumpers for the cooler months.

I had some denim that I bought forever ago, but also picked up some corduroy on sale. The denim pattern was a newer purchase and I'm not 100% satisfied. I will have to make some adjustments the next time I use it, but I won't bore you with all those little details.
As I was skimming through my patterns I found this one that I had kept of Mom's. The pattern was printed in 1974! It is amazing to me how some styles really can withstand the test of time (not so much for the fabric choices, though).
I had to make some adjustments to the actual pattern, but I'm really happy with the finished product. Instead of lining the arms and neck holes, I just used double fold bias tape, which was much faster and easier and made the jumper less bulky.

I've been told that red is a good color for me, so I picked up this rich red corduroy. I liked the jumper so much that I decided to use the same fabric to make a cute little matching newsboy-style hat!
Sorry for the quality on this photo, but I took it with my phone. I feel the hat looks cute either with my hair down or up, which makes me think I might actually wear this hat a lot! As cute as it looks on me, my favorite part of the whole hat can only be seen when I take it off: the adorable lining fabric! I think I may have finally found a use for some of Mom's calico stash!!

No comments: