Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Projects from Dad's House

After the smashing success that was the rocking chair remodel, I decided that the rest of the beautiful toile fabric should not go to waste. After a chat with Dad, I offered to make him an upholstered headboard for his bed. With much help from our friend Bob, I was able to make the whole headboard in just a few hours! Then I used an old twin flat sheet and whipped up a bed skirt to match (which you can just see peeking out from beneath the very purple quilt). There are also new curtains to match. Oh so coordinated!

A close up of the headboard, showing how the furniture tacks give it a nice, puffy look.


I was able to locate a covered button tool, and threw together a few buttons to secure the back of the rocker. I even fussy-cut so that each button had a sparrow centered on it.



The crowning achievement, however, was the remake of the old computer room. This room used to be packed to the brim with clunky furniture, old office supplies, and a bunch of other clutter (seriously, if I had thought to take a "before" picture you wouldn't believe it was the same room). Dad had mentioned that he wanted a place where he could read his devotions and pray. So, out went the clutter and up went the paint! I hadn't intended to use two different colors of purple, but I ran out of the light shade after 3 walls. So I picked up the darker shade as an accent, and it also worked nicely on his bedroom wall. The rocking chair now has a happy corner to call home, and Dad has a relaxing place to pray and read.


These little projects kept me happily busy while waiting to move to El Paso. The move is now done and I'm in the middle of turning a new house into our home. Stay tuned for pictures from the drive and the new house.


Oh, and I already have another remodel project. I picked up an old wood desk that is in need or refinishing...

No comments: