Friday, June 17, 2011

What's old becomes new again

I am really truly home now: my craft room is unpacked and set up!! The table is in place, books are on the shelves, and the file cabinets are nestled in the closet. Now I just have to decide which project to start on first. Perhaps something for Brian's birthday...



Just after we got back from Georgia, Brian finally succeeded in getting the Internet connected. We didn't have a desk when the tech came, so Brian improvised with several of my bookcase crates and boards. It was a good short-term fix, but not very comfortable or attractive (not to mention that he was holding my crate hostage and I couldn't get my craft room completed).



To remedy this situation, I started trolling Craigslist and Freecycle to find him a desk. After only a few days, I came across this beat up wooden desk.



I had never heard of Leopold Desk Company, but Brian did a little research (more on that later).


Though it needed a little love, I could tell it had potential. It was all real wood and very sturdy. I dished out $25, loaded it in the Durango and headed home. That night we stopped by Lowe's and picked up sand paper, steel wool and Minwax stain/polyurethane.


First step was removing all the original hardware and sanding. Lots and lots of sanding!





Once I got the old stain off the top, legs and drawer fronts, it was time to test out the stain. We were both a little skeptical of the stain/polyurethane combo. I mean, could it really work as well as the two separate products? The first coat went on and looked promising. A benefit of living in the desert: I didn't have to wait the full 6 hours between coats!


Minwax did not let us down. The new finish looks great, just as good as I hoped. I am so pleased with how it turned out. Now we just need to find an office chair that will compliment it.



Now, a bit about that research Brian did. Apparently the Leopold Desk Company made desks under that name by hand from 1900 to 1937, which makes this desk between 74 and 111 years old. The only thing that is missing is the key to lock the drawers, and we'll be sending the lock off to get new keys fabricated to match. After poking around a bit more, Brian found that desks similar to this one are running around $500. And I only dropped $25 on it. Score!!

No comments: