Monday, April 20, 2009

All About Harley!

As the title promises, this post is all about my totally awesome dog, Harley!

It's been just under a month since I adopted her, and I couldn't be happier! It's so nice to have her great me at the door, excited just to see me. It's like having a cool roommate that doesn't leave dirty dishes lying around.


Over Easter weekend we took a drive down to visit Dad before he left for vacation. Harley LOVED running and playing in the backyard...
but was somewhat less excited about getting a bath on the patio! The shampoo I made used natural dish soap, apple cider vinegar, glycerin and water and worked wonderfully. She got squeaky clean and there was absolutely NO wet dog smell.


The homemade dry shampoo was not nearly as impressive, however. It took almost 15 minutes of brushing to get it all out of her fur and didn't really make a noticeable improvement to her coat. In a pinch, it would probably help with funky odors, but I think I'll stick to regular brushing and occasional wet baths.

The weather has been so beautiful lately that I've been reading in the park after work instead of sitting in my comfy-chair. It's a great chance to be outside and get some fresh air and sunshine.
Harley tends to get bored and want to play while I'm reading. When I tried to explain that I was reading for work, she gave me a raspberry...then proceeded to lay on my book.


Success at the dog park! I took Harley to Beasley Dog Park on Sunday and she had a wonderful time! She got along great with all the dogs and didn't act aggressive at all! It felt so good to see her running and playing with other dogs and relieved a lot of my anxiety about her behavior in Forsyth. I'm going to make it a point to take her to the dog park a few times a week so she can socialize. Hopefully she will get to the point where she can meet and greet new dogs on the leash without being defensive.

No comments: