Monday, April 13, 2009

No act of kindness is too small.

A very dear friend of mine, Julie, works for Catholic Digest. This very dear friend has the enviable job of, among many other things, traveling to really cool places (Africa, Greece and Jordan, to list a few) and talking to famous people about Catholic-related topics. I just read her interview with Anna Paquin regarding the movie "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler," which you can find here, if you are so inclined.

The reason I mention this article is that I absolutely LOVE the tag line "No act of kindness is too small." I fear that we are subconsciously taught to believe that we, as individuals or groups of a minority, are too insignificant to bring about change. There is such a widespread feeling of apathy regarding larger social issues, and even in our personal lives. There are so many people who think "I will never rise above (insert situation here)" or "What does it matter if I shop at Wal-Mart? One customer can't make a difference." Beliefs are becoming as disposable as napkins or diapers.

On the other hand, I do know several wonderful people who share my struggle in caring so widely and trying to narrow our scope of concern. I, for one, am often overwhelmed by the number of petitions to sign and requests for donations of time and/or money that come daily from various organizations and movements. This is, in part, because I actively search out issues of concern and subscribe to news releases pertaining to various topics about which I feel strongly. I get into this backlog of concern because I so strongly believe that one person CAN make a difference and I demand of myself the level of action that I would like to see in others.

Another quote that stuck with me from years ago is that "No one raindrop believes it causes the flood." There is so much that one person really can do, even with just small changes or actions. If every person believed in the power of their own actions, then monumental, evolutionary changes could occur. The story of Irena Sendler is a stunning example of this.

One little side note: I made it in the paper!

No comments: