Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One very busy Saturday

Saturday, April 18, 2009

1:14 AM - Wake up to the cell phone ringing. Panic with the expectation that no good news comes at 1:14 AM. Get very frustrated when the called ID shows Ian's number but no one is on the line. Go back to sleep.

6:48 AM - Finally drag myself out of bed.

6:52 AM - Convince Harley that she must go potty in the backyard. Feel very guilty when she looks disappointed that we aren't taking our morning walk.

7:12 AM - Inhale an egg and cheese sandwich and hope I have enough time to digest before I start the 5K.

7:32 AM - Answer the phone. Find out that the 1:14 AM call was Pumpkin stepping on Ian's phone. Curse the furry devil and thank my lucky stars that Harley is so sweet.

7:42 AM - Head out the door to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure!

8:18 AM - Start the race!

8:54 AM - Cross the finish line in 36 minutes and 8 seconds! If I remember correctly, that's almost 10 minutes better than the Penguin Run/Walk in October!


After the race I did some grocery shopping and picked up a few essentials at Target. Then I walked over to Forsyth Park for the Earth Day Celebration. There were a bunch of interesting booths and vendors. I enjoyed a very yummy cherry Italian ice and picked up some informational brochures (neighbor gardens, kayaking, emergency response training).
A walking recycle bin. Savannah just recently began curbside recycling within the city limits (yippie!). Now we're working to extend the program to the rural areas.
I'm not quite sure if "Mr. Nas T Butts" is supposed to discourage people from smoking or just from throwing their butts on the ground... There was also a walking toilet, I think to encourage folks to check for leaky faucets...
It's not as charming as the labyrinth on Block Island, but it was still heartening to see this children's labyrinth on the lawn. On my way home I stopped by Brighter Day to pick up some Quorn for lunch this week. Yum!


No busy day would be complete without some relaxing time spent in the garden. It's not much to look at (yet) but this little patch will hopefully fill out as the weather warms. Most of the various items that create the border were unearthed while I was turning over the soil: I found whole glass bottles, metal pipes, iron stakes, bricks and stones and lots of broken glass. I planted two types of tomatoes (sweet 100 cherry hybrids and some type of larger, sandwich sized ones), red peppers, green squash, basil, parsley, and chives. Behind the garden, close to the fence, I planted 5 different types of sunflowers in the hopes of having a wall of flowers to attract butterflies and humming birds.

Inside the fence I planted Gladiolus and Caladium bulbs in these awesome Mexican pots that I got for $5 each from Well Traveled Imports. Because the back yard is in shade most of the day, there is very little ground cover. I am trying to transplant a bunch of the ivy from the side of the house to the ground around my pots. This will hopefully prevent the soil from turning to mud every time it rains. Like most gardening adventures, I'll have to wait and see!

No comments: