Friday, April 23, 2010

Care Package 23: Howling good Crispies

I have a couple of very interesting cookbooks on my shelf. Of course, there is the wonderful "Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin'" and the trusty "Joy of Cooking." I have a Winnie the Pooh cookbook, and even a Roald Dahl cookbook. Back around Thanksgiving I came across the Bubba Rose Biscuit Company's "Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook." It's a neat little book (there are only about 25 recipes) for making tasty, healthy treats for pups. I made Harley a batch of the fake-chocolate chip cookies and she LOVED them! (unfortunately, that cookie started the whole eating-anything-left-on-the-counter problem...)

Well, I was wondering what to make for Brian the other week and felt a bit stumped. To clear my mind, I started flipping through the Bubba Rose book. As I was looking at some of the recipes, I thought "These sound good enough to eat!" So I decided to try another recipe, but for people instead of dogs.

They turned out delicious! In the book, the cookie is called Peanut Brittle, but I replaced the crushed peanuts that were supposed to be pressed into the top of the dough with M&M's (clearly not for dog consumption), so I call them Peanut Butter Crispies. Brian said they were good, and the guys in his unit seemed to agree. He was a good sport when I told him I made him dog biscuits, and I left it up to him as to whether to tell the other guys. I also made a few without the M&Ms, and Harley loves them, too!


Peanut Butter Crispies

3 C brown rice flour (I don't really like the result with rice flour, and will probably just use whole wheat next time)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 C honey
1/4 C molasses
1/2 C peanut butter
1/4 C canola oil
1 C M&Ms

Preheat oven to 325. Combine all ingredients except M&Ms in a food processor until completely mixed. It should form a stiff dough. Press the dough onto a rimmed cookie sheet (if you line the cookie sheet with parchment paper, it makes clean-up easier). Cover dough with parchment paper and roll until smooth and about 1/4 inch thick. Press the M&Ms gently into the dough, and score into squares with a sharp knife. Bake 30 - 40 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack, then break apart at the scored lines.

No comments: