Sunday, September 12, 2010

Care Packages #38 & 39: The best laid plans...

Apologies for falling a bit behind on posting about the care packages, but the past two haven't really been much to write home about.

For care package #38, I was visiting Dad to clean out his garage. I knew that whatever goody I baked at his house he would end up nibbling on, so it had to be low or no-sugar. In the interest of protecting Dad's sugar count and not making something with lots of sugar substitute for Brian, I whipped up a batch of my go-to granola! See, nothing too exciting there.

Last week I was feeling rather adventurous after all my house guests headed home. I decided to try to create a brand new granola bar recipe. It smelled good as I was mixing it up, and even better as I was baking it. Unfortunately, I must have left out some key type of bonding ingredient because it tasted delicious but was mushy and totally unable to hold itself together. So Brian got a box of Nature Valley granola bars and I'll stick to a real tried-and-true recipe for this week.

Enough about disappointing boxes. The real highlight of the past week came in the form of an estimated departure date for Brian! Ever since he told me that his unit was getting extended, I was bracing to expect him home in early to mid November. But this week I found out that he should be back sometime in mid to late October! Sure, it's only a few weeks difference... But still, it's a few weeks EARLIER! Which means that in just a little over a month he will be back home. I still break out in a huge, goofy grin every time I think about it. I'm also a bit amazed at how fast this year has gone by. I mean, tomorrow I will be mailing out the 40th care package. That's a lot of baking...

No comments: