Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day: my new favorite holiday

In the line-up of widely celebrated and much anticipated holidays, Labor Day usually is not at the top of the list. The biggies like Thanksgiving and Christmas and Groundhog Day are really the heavy hitters. Okay, I'm kidding about Groundhog Day, but you get the point.

However, I really have to say that my last two Labor Days have been, well, outstanding! Last year Joy and Dad and I had a great time exploring the area and catching up. I was visited by my dear friend Eric and his beautiful family and, though I wasn't really at the point of writing about it at the time, it was also the first week that Brian and I started dating.
This year, Dad came up for the long weekend again and, as already mentioned, we had fun visiting with the folks at his church, playing on the rail trail and making yummy frozen yogurt treats. We were planning a lazy Sunday evening of watching movies and lounging around when I got a surprise phone call from another very dear friend from my college days.
Fairlight's husband, Jonathon, had ridden his bike from Toccoa to Tybee while Fairlight and the kids followed him down in the car. Their planned accommodations hadn't panned out and they were wondering if I had room for them to spend the night. Anyone who has seen my apartment knows that space is one thing I have plenty of, so I was excited to have them all over!
The kids enjoyed my library, craft supplies and the dogs. The adults enjoyed a chance to chat and catch up. And the dogs enjoyed cleaning the floors after meals. So a great time was had by all!!

No comments: