Friday, January 1, 2010

Care Package #7: New Year's

I thought long and hard about what to send in the New Year's care package. I don't like buying junky stuff, so I didn't want to send the usual noise makers and confetti. I thought about some traditional New Year good-luck foods, like Black Eyed Peas, but didn't think Brian would have a way to cook them. Then I thought about one of the biggest parts of New Year's Eve: the kiss at midnight! Since I couldn't be there for a kiss at midnight, I figured I could send him a bunch of kisses... Hershey Kisses, that is.


I tried a new Peanut Butter Cookie recipe for the base of these Hershey Kiss cookies. Seemed to taste the same as my old recipe, so nothing really exciting there.

Just for fun I decided to try a completely new cookie.

You can find the Raspberry Pinwheel recipe here. They are pretty yummy, but I need to work on the rolling process: most of the jam squeezed out while I was rolling it up. Oh, and Harley helped herself to two sticks of butter and a package of cream cheese that were softening on the counter. A quick trip to the vet for X-rays showed that the packaging wouldn't cause any blockage problems and also revealed that she had been shot twice with a BB gun! Seems my girl had a tough life before I found her.

I was very surprised and more than a little annoyed to find out that the Army does not issue pillows to the soldiers. Brian had been sleeping on an inflatable camping pillow until he got a flat, stiff pillow from the PX. So I picked up a soft, fluffy pillow from TJ Maxx and sent it over in a large vacuum bag, along with a broken-in pillowcase. I was afraid that shipping it in a vacuum bag might kill the fluffiness, but Brian said it sprang right back to life as soon as he opened it.

1 comment:

Xander and Alana (but mostly Alana) said...

I would have sent the latest Black Eyed Peas CD.