Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Um, Brrrr

I moved to Georgia just a little less than a year ago. The first few weeks I was here it was kinda chilly. According to folks in Savannah, it was freezing. But, having just come from a location that actually was freezing, I sorta enjoyed the "mild" winter temperatures. I'm also not the sort of person that generally complains about the weather, it being one of those things over which I have no control (at least not yet, anyway...).

So the fact that Savannah has been getting down into the teens and low 20s during the night and barely topping out at 50 during the day is not really upsetting to me. What is upsetting, however, is that my heat system decided that this was the week it would up and die on me! I guess it just had enough and couldn't keep fighting the good fight to keep me warm and toasty (and by "warm and toasty" I mean 62 degrees) anymore. My property manager brought over a couple of space heaters...which do absolutely nothing in rooms with 13 foot ceilings. So Saturday night and most of Sunday Harley and I camped out in my bedroom trying to fend off hypothermia.

When I wandered out to use the bathroom and noticed that the rest of my house was a mere 40 degrees I decided that it was no longer fun to tough it out: I sent Harley to spend the week with Dad and have been bunking up at a friend's house for the week.

As of this morning I am waiting for a compressor to arrive. Hopefully it will be installed and charged up tomorrow and I can return to life as I know it. It has been kinda relaxing to stay at Amanda's, but I am a home-body that misses my own home! I also miss my morning walks around Forsyth and my puppy and my own bed and not having to live out of a suitcase and having a choice of what to wear each morning.

Interestingly, this has actually been a very positive learning experience for me. When I thanked Amanda for offering to let me stay, she replied that she was just excited to be able to do something for me. Now, I love doing things for others; I get a lot of pleasure out of making gifts, or helping out, or any other type of giving/doing. But for some reason, maybe owing to my fierce sense of independence, I rarely allow others the opportunity to "do" for me, thus denying them the pleasure that I so greatly enjoy. Clearly this is something that I need to work on, especially since I have such wonderfully caring and giving friends. I think this is what Steven Covey means by "inter-dependence" being more powerful than independence...

No comments: