Thursday, January 14, 2010

Two New Challenges

It is a well known fact that I have entirely too much free time. I am always just sitting around wondering "Hmmmm, what should I do? I'm so bored! There must be something I can do to keep busy..."

It's also a well know fact that I am a sarcastic smart-ass...

So, in the interest of staying ever-more busy, I have given myself two new challenges!

The first has to do with my kitchen pantry. I used to tease my Mom about having a soup kitchen's worth of food in her house. Over the holidays I opened my cupboards and, lo and behold, I found a soup kitchen! Not really, but considering the fact that I live alone and don't really entertain often, I seemed to have an inordinately large quantity of food.

So my first challenge is: Use up all the staples in my cupboard before buying anything new. There will still be some shopping required, for perishables and such. But I will attempt not to buy a single non-perishable item until I have used up all that I stored (including the 9 cans of pumpkin that I bought because I heard there a was shortage due to bad weather. Really, who needs 9 cans of pumpkin?).



To reward myself for sticking to a Pilates schedule (6 days a week since October, with just a few days missed when I was sick) I finally bought myself a punching bag!!! I've been wanting one since I lived in CT, but it just didn't seem practical to have a punching bag in a third floor apartment (nor very friendly towards downstairs neighbors).

My second challenge is going to be a lot more fun than the first: Use my punching bag for a minimum of 30 minutes at least twice a week. I signed up for a 5K in February and hopefully this will help build my endurance. Not only will this increase my cardio for the week, but I'm pretty sure it's going to reduce my stress levels, too. There's nothing quite like hitting and kicking something until your arms twitch and your legs quiver to give you that peaceful, relaxed feeling...
I'll keep you posted on the status of both challenges. And if you have any good recipes for canned pumpkin or pearled barley, please feel free to pass those along...

No comments: