Friday, January 8, 2010

What did you do on your Christmas vacation?

I finally took a few days off from work over the holidays. Work was slow anyway, and I didn't have any classes scheduled, so it seemed like a good time to catch up on some fun!
Amanda and I grabbed a slice of pizza at Vinnie Van Go-Go's then wandered around Broughton Street checking out all the holiday displays. This over sized Nutcracker freaked me out about 3 seconds after this picture was taken: as I turned to walk away it's arm and mouth started moving!
I have been having a great time knitting the fun toys from my new favorite book, Knitted Toy Tales. This owl was really easy to make, and I'm in the middle of finishing an elephant and piggy!
If you didn't already know, I have a pretty firm policy on gifts: make it myself or forget about it. (There are, of course, a few exceptions. But for the most part if you get a gift from me it will be something I made with my own two hands.)
For Dad's Christmas gift, I made him a pair of purple, flannel pajamas. Flannel is one of my favorite fabrics and I've made PJ bottoms before on many occasions. This was my first attempt at the complete set and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it!
Joy's present was a bit belated. By "belated" I mean that I actually made it back in 2003 and just got around to framing and giving it to her! I drew this picture of her cat, Bailey A.K.A. Meemers, from a photo I took when I had been living on her couch after college. I re-discovered it in the packing and moving process of last March and decided to finally frame it up and pass it along.
Harley was happy with her new bed (this is one of those "handmade gift exceptions" because the foam material I wanted to use to make her a bed cost $60 and this ready-made bed only cost $19!).
Dad and I attended a Compline service at the Christ Church downtown. I can see why some people may not enjoy a "passive" service where the congregation merely listens. But for me, it is comforting to partake in a service yet not recite passages and phrases which I do not wholly believe.
And what are the holidays if not a time for comfort food? I made one of my favorite dishes: Lentil Shepherd's Pie for dinner and savored the leftovers for many days.
I rounded out my holiday events with a quick walk on the beach New Year's Day. It was a bit on the chilly side (for Georgia) and storm clouds were threatening, so I didn't linger long. But I did enjoy the fresh air, beautiful shells and adorable little sand pipers that were flitting about.

No comments: