Sunday, May 2, 2010

Care Package 24 and 25: Fruit Bars and Granola Cookies

I think I've been doing pretty well at sending healthy snacks the past few weeks. It helps that I've been cutting back on sugar myself. I'm not craving sweets, so I don't need to use Brian as an excuse to bake sugary things!

For the 24th care package, I whipped up another batch of Oasis Fruit Bars using pineapple, mango, cranberries, plums, apricots, pumpkin seeds and walnuts. This recipe is awesome and can easily be adapted depending on what type of fruits/nuts you have around the kitchen. I hope everyone enjoyed this batch as much as they did the last one!

The base is super simple:


1/2 C brown sugar
2 TBS butter
2 Eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda



Blend these ingredients together then add in a total of 3 Cups of any fruit/nut combo that strikes your fancy. Press the dough into a 9x13" baking pan and bake at 325 for 35 minutes.

Last week I branched out and used a different cookbook to whip up a batch of Granola Cookies. I'm pretty happy with this recipe, though the cookies came out a lot more chewy than I imagined.

Granola Cookies
1/2 C butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 C wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 C granola cereal
1/3 C raisins
1/2 C chopped walnuts

Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and egg. Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix well. Add the granola, raisins and chopped walnuts. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.



No comments: