Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Care Package 27 & 28: Slacker....

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in my performance for the last two care packages. They lacked my usual creativity and flare. However, in my defense, I do have fairly reasonable excuses.

On Saturday, May 8 my sister came up to visit me. We had a great time hanging out and catching up Saturday night. On Sunday my back was feeling much better after two chiropractic adjustments and I decided that Harley was in need of her usual Sunday morning bath. Unfortunately, lifting a 65 pound reluctant dog into a bathtub and spending 20 minutes hunched over bathing said dog effectively killed my back.

Now, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but I have never felt pain like this. Ripping all the soft muscle tissue in my foot while jumping off a 50 foot bridge and cannon-balling into nearly-freezing water was a mild discomfort compared to this (hey, it was college, what can I say?). Having a wisdom tooth cracked out of my skull before the Novocaine kicked in was nothing compared to this. Spending over an hour with a tattoo gun grinding on my spine would be considered tickling next to this.

My wonderful, awesome and totally amazing chiropractor actually came into his office on Mother's Day for an emergency adjustment that knocked the pain down from "excruciating" to "just about bearable" and I was able to spend the rest of the night flat on my back without crying constantly. As such, putting around the kitchen to whip up some goodies was out of the question. Not to be discouraged, I did manage to pack up a handful of Nature Valley granola bars into a box and get it in the mail on Monday after another round of chiropractic care. As they say, it's the thought that counts, right?

As for this weeks care package, I was in Connecticut this weekend and didn't have access to my kitchen until late Monday evening. I did have lofty plans to try a new oatmeal cookie recipe, but was short a few key ingredients. So another trusty package of Trail Mix is on its way to Brian as I type. This batch of trail mix, however, has a very special addition: chocolate covered sunflower seeds!! These are one of my all-time FAVORITE snacks and it took an amazing amount of self control not to eat every last one of them. Seriously, I would make myself sick on these things if I had just a wee bit less self-control.

So there you have it: my somewhat reasonable excuses for being a slacker in the creative care package department. Brian will be heading home soon for two weeks R&R, so I may be taking a bit of a hiatus in the baking arena. But stay tuned, I have a really great idea for what to send him when he ships back out!

No comments: