Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Care Package 26: Belated Cinco de Mayo and a new quilt project

Cinco de Mayo is one of those semi-holidays in my book. Not to detract at all from the historical significance that this day holds for many people. I was just at a bit of a loss as when trying to come up with an adequate Cinco de Mayo themed care package. Salsa and chips was the easy choice...except that the salsa jar might break and the chips almost certainly would. I even thought about sending all the fixings to make burritos (wraps, salsa, refried beans) but again with the jar breaking. And something told me that tequila and limes wouldn't be such a great idea either. My problem was solved when I stumbled across these Jalapeno flavored peanuts from the Carolina Nut Company! I was too wimpy to try them myself, but thought Brian would probably enjoy them.
I've also been making some progress on an really cool quilt pattern! I am using a bunch of the batik fabrics from Mom's stash to make a cracker box patterned quilt. Below is a picture of the work in progress. I absolutely LOVE strip-piecing quilts! Not only does it seem to go together so much quicker, but it also allows for an almost mindless meditative repetition. Plus, it helps me stay focused by working on just one step at a time. When it comes to me and projects, focus means less room for mistakes!

No comments: