Sunday, August 15, 2010

Care Package #34: Chocolate Almond Oaty Bars

I decided to get a little creative this week, and sorta wing it on a new bar recipe. They turned out okay, but a little dense.

Chocolate Almond Oaty Bars

4 C old fashioned oats
1 C wheat germ
1 C wheat flour
1 C white flour
1 C brown sugar
.5 C cocoa
2 eggs
.5 C applesauce
.5 C vegetable oil
4 tsp vanilla
.25 C water
1.5 C slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (except almonds). Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in wet mixture. Mix well, add almonds and spread into the pan, patting well.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars before they cool completely.
I realized that I have several of the larger APO boxes that I hadn't used yet. So on top of the bars, I also sent along Pop-Tarts, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Pudding Packs. I mean, who wouldn't want puddin'?

No comments: