Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You know you're a neat freak when...

...your idea of a fun weekend is helping your Dad clean out the garage.

This past weekend I went down to Dad's and we tackled the garage. He had done a good bit of prep work on it, but I'm not sure he was really ready to take the ultimate cleaning mantra seriously: Less is more.

I've become a real fan of the Zen organizing method of eliminate, simplify, organize. This works well for me in so many areas of my life, but I know it can be kinda harsh for people who aren't as fastidious. We went through boxes, bins and bags, piles and heaps, drawers and shelves. Everything was evaluated, then only what was useful was dusted off and given a new home. I'm pretty sure there were a few times when even my mild-mannered Dad wanted to shout "No, I haven't used it in the past year, I don't know when I'll use it in the future. I want to keep it just because, okay?"

But when all was said and done, he now has a very tidy and spacious garage where he, wonder of wonders, can actually park his car!


The Craigslist Curb Alert heap-o-stuff that lined the driveway was pretty impressive. What was even more impressive was how much of that stuff was picked up by the next day! This picture is actually just the stuff that could be reused. There ended up being a whole other pile of garbage to haul out to the curb Sunday night.

No comments: