Thursday, August 12, 2010

Emotions

I know it has been a while since I've written about anything besides crafting and baking. What can I say, I've been really busy crafting and baking!

I had an awesome visit with sister last weekend. We totally vegged out and watched hours of NCIS. I knit the whole time and managed to finish two hats and start a third (but since this post is not about crafting, you're just going to have to wait for pictures). As all relationships are wont to do over time, Joy and I have had our share of highs and lows. I would like to think that we're starting to recover from the latest rocky patch and are now feeling more like sisters again. This makes me really happy and really really grateful. My sister is my oldest friend: I've known her all my life. When we're on the outs, I feel deep down inside like I'm missing something. Most of my earliest memories are of things that we did together (like sledding, summer vacations, swimming at Hopeville Pond) or to each other (playing Fireworks (seriously, don't ask), giving each other hair cuts, and other more embarrassing things that I'll hold on to until I need some serious blackmail). So the fact that we were able to spend almost two whole days laughing, talking, teasing, joking and, most importantly, not fighting or instigating, is awesome.

So that was last weekend. This weekend, one of my dearest and closest friends is coming to visit before he gets shipped off to his new station in Hawaii. John and I met at Camden County High School in 1995, but didn't really get close until we both went to Piedmont College. College was a great time in general, but specifically because of all the wonderful friendships that I made there. I didn't know it at the time, but these are people who have loved and supported me in so many different ways over the years. John is the kind of guy who will give you the shirt off his back without you even having to ask, or drop everything to be by your side when you lose a loved one. I'm not the least bit surprise that he's succeeding so well in the Navy. He went into the very challenging Dive Program and kept up with guys 10+ years younger than himself. I'm so proud of him and know that he is going to do outstanding in this new career. But I'm also really sad because he's going to be so far away. Luckily, I know that distance alone would never be enough for him to fall out of my life. Plus, now I have a really great excuse to go visit Hawaii!

Last week I auditioned for the Cultural Affairs Department's production of "Steel Magnolias." It has been years since I've done theatre and I thought it would be a fun distraction for the remainder of Brian's deployment. I've been trying really hard not to start counting the days until Brian comes home. Really, it's easy to not count the days, because I still don't have an expected DATE, but I have started estimating the weeks! Sometimes the Universe has a very gentle hand when it reminds us of our limits. I was only slightly surprised to feel relief when I got the email that I was not cast in this show. I mean, really, what was I thinking?! I am already non-stop busy from 6AM to 10PM almost every day of the week! How did I think I'd be able to fit in 12 hours/week of rehearsal on top of everything else without having at least a minor breakdown? Still, it was fun to audition again...

Dad is doing outstanding on his Seminary classes. He just wrapped up another session and will be coming to visit over Labor Day weekend before he jumps back into another series of classes. I am so proud of the work that he's doing to reach his goal! It really goes to show that it's never too late to chase a dream.

On a final note, I've been thinking a lot about the stuff that I have in my apartment. Anyone who has visited knows that I'm far from being a pack rat. But as I was dusting last week I realized that I have several books that I either have not read or have no plans of reading again. That got me to looking around and I saw in various places, things that I just don't use. I did a lot of purging before this move, so I guess I assumed that whatever I brought with me was stuff that I really wanted/needed. I'm starting to realize that may not be true. This weekend I plan on doing my semi-annual Goodwill scavenger hunt: trolling through all the shelves, closets, boxes and bins to pull out things that I don't want to maintain anymore. I think that I may even look at donating some of my craft supplies. But we'll see... baby steps.

No comments: