Thursday, July 8, 2010

Care Package #29: Gimme S'mores!

Brian got to spend most of May home with friends and family, and I got to take a few weeks off from baking (which was a treat considering how hot it has been). But, now he's back in the big sand box and I'm getting back into the swing of things. But boy oh boy, a month off sure got me out of the care package-habit!

I knew that there was a chance Brian could end up getting delayed on his way back to base, so I wanted to send some very sturdy goodies that could survive sitting around waiting for him if necessary. I'm hoping to go camping with some girlfriends at the end of July and I thought that S'mores would be a fun treat. However, with average temperatures well over 100, I didn't think that Hershey Bars would qualify as "sturdy" and that he probably wouldn't have access to a campfire to melt the marshmallows. So I got a little creative with the S'mores ingredients. Of course, graham crackers are a must, and those would ship without any issues. In place of big, puffy marshmallows, I sent a jar of Fluff. And to fill in for Hershey Bars, I sent a jar of Nutella. I felt pretty clever about these substitutions, if I do say so myself. However, my cleverness did not extend so far as remembering to take a picture... I told you I was out of practice!

It looks like we have about 4 more months, or 15 more care packages, left to this deployment, and hopefully (seriously, cross your fingers on this one) Brian will be home in plenty of time for us to get down to Ft. Lauderdale to catch our Thanksgiving cruise. I have a few new recipes that I've been wanting to try, so keep an eye out for those in the coming weeks.

No comments: