Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

Today is a day to celebrate our great country, the freedoms that so many of us take for granted, the democracy that may not be perfect but is a work-in-progress, and sacrifices that make the whole thing possible.

So what did I do with myself over this long holiday weekend?

Well, for starters, I put the finishing touches on this Cracker Box quilt. I have more photos coming soon...


I tried out a new dress pattern. I really like the pattern (especially since I made a few adjustments that allowed it to have a fitted appearance without actually having to put in a zipper), but the fabric is so not me! I feel like I'm wearing an Easter dress. I'll have to try it again with some fabric that's a little more "Skye" and a little less... whatever this is...

I finally got around to blocking my lacy shawl. Once the shawl dries, I'll be able to pick up a few stitches for the sleeves and it will be done! I'm a wee bit concerned though, because it came out a tad larger than I planned. There's not much to be done about it now, but if I ever try it again (HA!) I will have to make adjustments to the number of stitches and rows. The sleeves should knit up pretty quick, so I hope to have some finished pictures before too long.

I found yet another cool wallet pattern on CraftGawker! This one is so easy it's almost a joke. I made these three pouches in less than 2 hours!

The neatest part is that the fabric is up-cycled from some home decor samples that my friend Claire gave me. This makes the pouches very sturdy and forces me to be a little more creative with my fabric combinations. It also gives me a chance to use up some of the zippers that Grammy Ida and Mom had saved up from before I was born.

And what did Harley the Wonder Dog do this weekend? Pretty much the same thing she does every day: try to take over the world! I know it looks like she's just napping with her tongue poking out, but she is really plotting world domination.

In case you were wondering, no, I did not go out and enjoy the drunken revelry downtown. Nor did I brave the masses to view any fireworks. Not my cup of tea, thank you.

No comments: